Frequently Asked Questions
You can cancel your trip until 48 hours before your estimated check-in time in case of any restrictions due to Covid-19. This includes cancelled flights, lock-downs, illness, etc. You will get a refund (96% of your payment) OR a voucher for your travel in the future (as you prefer). To get the refund or voucher, we would ask you to provide simple proof of your cancelled flight, illness, lock-down regulations of your country or test result. We will refund you 96% of your payment, as the remaining 4% are the commission for the online payment providers.
A late check-out is only possible if there are no other bookings on your car for the same day.
One day before you check-out date we would be able to tell you if it is possible to make late check-out.
There are no extra costs for this.
You call us (00351 966715383) and depending on the problem and the distance to Faro we decide what to do.
If it is an easy-to-solve problem, we call the road assistance that will fix the problem at the spot. Because the mechanics often do not speak English, we communicate the problem for you. In case of a bigger problem, you will be brought back to Faro by the mechanics and you will either get a substitution van that we have reserved for this kind of situation or another alternative camping solution. We will try everything to make the situation as convenient for you as possible.
P.S.: Our Campervans are relatively new and until now there was never a malfunction.
You need to:
1. Have a driving license valid in EU.
2. Present an identification document: passport or European identification card.
3.1. Hold a driving license for at least 3 years.
3.2. Hold a driving license for at least 1 year and have some driving experience. In this case, you will need to take “Advanced” insurance option.
All highways in Portugal are paid. Our vans are equipped with highway toll readers. The use of toll streets will cost you a one-time processing fee of 15€ plus the tolls of the highway.
On average, you can expect fees for the highways of ~10€/100km plus our one-time processing costs of 15€.
Yes, you can add insurance packages, surf boards, WiFi and anything you need during your check-in, as long as the stock lasts.
We provide following vehicle Insurances options:
Basic (for free, included in the rental price) *: € 1,500 deductible, one driver allowed, holding at least 3 years driving license, mileage included 200 km per night.
If you cause an accident through your own fault, the Basic insurance pays for damage and injuries to the other party involved in the accident. However, you have a € 1,500 deductible/security deposit. This means you have to pay for damage on the rented vehicle up to € 1,500 yourself. Likewise, if the car or parts are stolen, you are liable up to € 1,500.
Advanced (limited risk package) *: € 400 deductible, two drivers allowed, holding at least 1 year driving license, mileage included 300 km per night, and glass and tyre damages are covered.
Complete (all-included package) *: € 100 deductible, two drivers allowed, holding at least 3 year driving license, mileage included 400 km per night, and glass and tyre damages are covered.
* None of our insurance options cover the following damage and / or loss:
In the event of an accident, we are always available for you (24/7) and help you to contact the police, deal with the paperwork, identify the guilty, and everything that is necessary for a transparent handling of the incident. This service is free!
Unfortunately, no. Because we are a little company we cannot provide this service until now. But we are working on environmental friendly solution to provide this service. Please hold on…