Best beaches of Algarve in a nutshell
The coast of Portugal points to the open Atlantic Ocean, which provides magnificent waves, desired by any surfer. The size of the waves changes strongly from beach to beach. The West Coast (from Sagres to Sines) usually offers bigger waves than on the South Coast.
We provide easy and cheap surf trip solutions. Our vans are equipped with an outdoor shower and water deposit for your comfort, and a roof-top holder (incl. fixation belts) to transport surfboards of any size. Feel free to bring your own board or rent one with us.
Surf Forecast: You can get an idea about the wave size and energy at the most relevant beaches in Portugal by consulting wave forecast websites such as www.surf-forecast.com. More detailed weather data can be found at Windy.
1. Zavial: small beach located at the South coast, good waves when too stormy on the West Coast.
2. Mareta: located in Sagres, at the South Coast. Usually small waves for surf beginners.
3. Tonel : located in Sagres, often big waves all year round. Be careful with the rocks in the water.
4. Beliche: located in Sagres. This sheltered beach provides fast, clean waves, good for body-boarders.
5. Ponta Ruiva: located at the West Coast, and is known for having big waves all year round. For advanced surfers
6. Amado: located at the West Coast, known for good waves all year round. For advanced and beginner surfers.
7. Arrifana: located on the West Coast, sometimes crowded with surfers, but marvelous waves all year round.
8. Praia de Faro: has sometimes good waves from October to May. Sometimes windy. Snack-bars distributed throughout the beach.
There are many other amazing beaches to surf, to take a bath and to relax. We will extent this beach-guide occasionally, so come back have a look later.